Interested in a pre-college experience in the field of sports communication? Marist offers a Summer Sports Communication Institute!
This unique summer pre-college program gives high school juniors and seniors a chance to learn about and experience various aspects of the field of sports communication, from sports writing to sports broadcasting to sports public relations. Students learn first hand from Marist faculty and experienced sports media professionals. Upon successful completion of the two week residential program, students earn three college credits, giving them a head start on their undergraduate experience. For 13 days, you'll live in Marist dorms, attend class sessions focuced on sports communication, and experience all that Marist has to offer.
Program goals include:
- Become well-versed in the foundations of this growing and exciting field
- Learn to create sports journalism, from simple game recaps to player profiles
- Produce a sports report in Marist's broadcast studio
- Analyze the business strategies behind the games we watch and the websites we peruse
- Scrutinize the impact that sports media has on society
- Explore the role sports information and sports marketing have on attracting fans and corporate sponsors
- Discover how new technologies influence sports media
- Experience the thrill of doing sports reporting and broadcasting under the supervision of skilled experts
In addition, pre-college students will take exciting trips to visit with sports communication professionals in the region. In the past, the class has visited Citi Field, NBC Sports at Rockafeller Center, and the Hudson Valley Renegades. We've also had guest speakers from places like ESPN, the Boston Globe, and the Poughkeepsie Journal. And of course, students meet with working professionals from Marist's Division I athletics program.